I’m not really sure who decided that a round cake glazed entirely in sugar was a good way to get one’s morning started off well, but whoever it was…I thank you! There is just something delightfully decadent about starting the day off with a donut, doubly so if it is a chocolate one. I’ve always steered clear of donut recipes because they felt, well…complicated, but this one from bakerish.com is simple and delicious. Give it a go…your family will be singing “Mom is great! She gives us the chocolate cake!”
Servings: 12 Donuts/ 36 Donut Holes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Author: Alli at Bakerish
I don’t have a muffin pan, so I made these as donut holes in a mini muffin tin with no problems (I started checking for doneness at about 5 minutes and they were done at about 6 and a half), but I’ll be asking for a donut baking pan for Christmas because this is what every COVID baker needs for breakfast baking!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 Tbs milk
- 2 Tbs butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 Tbs milk
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a donut pan (or mini muffin tin pan) with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Add egg, sour cream, milk, butter and vanilla extract and stir everything until just combined.
- Spoon or pipe using a piping bag into wells of donut pan.
- Cook for about 10 (about 6 minutes if using a mini muffin pan) minutes or until donuts spring back when touched.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile mix together your glaze ingredients until smooth
- Once donuts are cool dip tops and bottoms of donuts into glaze and set back on wire rack to harden.
- It’s hard to wait, but make sure you wait as long as you can before glazing. If the donut holes are still warm when glazed, the glaze will just melt off.
- If you want to up the chocolate ante, add mini chocolate chips to this recipe…you won’t be sorry!
- Nutritional info is for full size donuts. I would guess that one serving size equals about 2 donut holes.
Carbs: 39 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Fat: 6 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Cholesterol: 39 milligrams
Sodium: 220 milligrams
Fiber: 2 grams